(UK) London, Compliance Monitoring and Testing - Barclays
Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide. With over 300 years of history and expertise in banking, we operate in over 50 countries and employ over 140,000 people.
People are a key component of the success of Compliance and are expected to play a central role in business decision-making, with the ability to lead and be a key component in complex projects.
In taking proactive judgement, continuously challenging and anticipating risks compliance employees are the individuals that senior management of the firm significantly value as an essential contributor and partner when key decisions are being made.
The Compliance people strategy is focused on attracting, retaining and developing talented and capable employees by engaging them in fulfilling roles; in an environment that is empowering and rewarding. Individual career development is supported by an externally recognised Compliance Career Academy and underpinned by the right methodology and focus on internal mobility, reward, assessment and training.
Main function of the job
Support Barclays’ Compliance strategy through the delivery of a continuous programme of monitoring and testing activities in line with the agreed Personal and Corporate Banking (“PCB”) Monitoring Plan and wider Monitoring and Testing function (“M&T”) objectives.
Testing is undertaken by the execution of M&T reviews that assess and report on conduct risk management, behaviours and attitudes, including through reference to the level of compliance with applicable regulatory, legislative, and Compliance Policy requirements, across PCB across the UK ecosystem (including Personal Banking, Mortgages, Corporate Banking and Wealth).
Through influencing positive actions and adding value as a result reviews, the role holder will be responsible for enhancing the compliance culture within the organisation in a manner consistent with the Barclays’ company values. This will include formal stakeholder engagement and management at all levels of the business, the effective influencing of business decisions and the identification and escalation of issues if appropriate.
Main duties and responsibilities
Planning and Scoping 25%
- Take a proactive approach to identifying and agreeing the priorities for overall review coverage and the scope of individual reviews.
- Keep up to date on business developments, regulatory change and Compliance objectives so that M&T work remains relevant, timely and value-added.
- Aid continual review and development of the annual review plan through assessing the conduct and regulatory risks of existing business activities and new business initiatives, or changes to internal and external factors that might impact the business in meeting conduct and regulatory expectations.
- Adhere to the M&T methodology in the planning and execution of reviews and the monitoring and validation of actions.
- Design and deliver reviews that provide strong insight and value by identifying issues or examples of good practice and articulating root causes, outcomes and consequences to support corrective actions or further embedding of good practices at a fundamental level.
- Be proactive in managing reviews to plan and resolving or escalating issues that materially impact on the progress of reviews, including through effective stakeholder management or timely escalation to senior M&T colleagues.
- Build and manage relationships and with key stakeholders (both internal and external to Compliance) by providing support and solutions on a broad range of conduct and regulatory issues, whilst maintaining effective independence as a second line of defence monitoring and testing function.
- Provide timely and relevant updates as required both internally within M&T and the Compliance department and across the broader bank.
- Assist colleagues in understanding the regulatory, internal policy and conduct and values expectations require of Barclays.
- Where appropriate, provide oversight and guidance to more junior M&T reviewers.
- Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Barclays Operational Risk Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Standards
- Broad and /or in-depth technical compliance knowledge and the application of FCA or comparable rules and guidance in relation to personal banking, corporate and business banking or Wealth businesses. Comparable experience in other financial market environments such as investment banking, insurance or regulation would also be relevant.
- Strong analytical and investigative skills with the capability to identify areas of non-conformance with requirements and identify root causes and key risks. The role involves analysis of both technical and behavioural non-conformance. Having the capability to identify and assess effective mitigating solutions to identified risks.
- Ability to develop, assess and deliver effective monitoring and testing methodologies with the focus on risk and control effectiveness across a wide variety of topics. This would include in particular being able to design effective tests capable of providing reliable insights.
- Some management or coaching/mentoring skills would be advantageous
- Academic and professional qualifications
- Degree-level education preferred
- Compliance, risk, audit and accountancy and legal experience/qualifications will also be considered
- Committed and self- motivated.
- Able to consistently deliver the Barclays values.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to tailor messages to all levels of the business so that they are clear and impactful
- Commercial acumen – able to balance regulatory and conduct risks with the needs of a commercial bank, while maintaining a clear level of independence and challenge.
- Project management capability - able to manage multiple issues across a variety of business areas and topics, and to deliver M&T review according to plan in a timely and complete fashion.
- Ability to adapt within a changing environment, re-prioritise workloads and work effectively with multiple stakeholders from a wide business background.
- Influencing skills – working at all levels of Personal and Corporate Bank and across the wider group.